In the year 2010 the proposal for bringing up new parliament building came into light as the existing building has become 93 years old and apart from that, it is not able to fulfill the accommodation needs in the present time and the demand for space is supposed to increase in future.
This project will come under central vista redevelopment project and there will be a total number of 44 buildings spread over an area of 64,500 sq. m after the completion of this project this is expected to serve the country for 150 to 200 years. More than 1000 tress will be planted in the total area. This project is expected to be completed by the year 2022 and is taken up by Tata Projects Ltd.
Coming to the interesting facts –
- The shape of the new parliament building will be triangle which is considered to be a sacred geometry in various religions.
- A total amount of 971 crores is expected to be spent on this project.
- A provision for 888 Lok Sabha Chamber seats, and 384 Rajya Sabha Chamber Seats will be there in this building .
- New parliament buildings height is 50 meters and in this building, at a time a total number of 9,500 can work comfortably.
- New parliament buildings structure is designed in such a way that it can withstand earth quake up to 8 on Richter scale.
- The theme of the Lok Sabha will be the national bird –Peacock and the theme for the Rajya Sabha will be National flower – Lotus. The new building will be in accordance with Z and Z plus category levels.
- Green construction materials will be used in building parliament and will be totally eco-friendly.
- A total number of 530 seats will be allocated for media in the new parliament house.
- The new parliament house will have architectural representation from various parts of India, while drawing inspiration from old parliament building.
- General Public will be able to witness the parliamentary proceedings from the gallery. In the new Parliament house provisions will be made so that children, disabled persons and elderly persons can come comfortably.
On the whole up new parliament building will be a representation of new self-sufficient India while retaining its roots.