After the completion of sales process, the management and operations of Odisha’s power distribution utilities WESCO and SOUTHCO, have been taken by Tata Power on Thursday. WESCO and SOUTHCO will now operate as TP western Odisha Distribution Ltd. (TPWODL) and, respectively, TP Southern Odisha Distribution Ltd (TPSODL). With management control, Tata power owns 51 percent of the equity and the state-owned GRIDCO will have the remaining 49 percent share of the company’s equity.
This is in accordance with the order issued by the Odisha Electricity Regulatory Commission.
In the Rourkela, Burla, Bhawanipatna, Bolangir, and Bargarh districts, TPWODL is responsible for the distribution and retail supply of electricity in the five WESCO circles, while TPSODL will be responsible for the distribution and retail supply of electricity for the distribution in Ganjam City, Berhampur, Aksa, Bhanjannagar, Jeypore and Rayagada.
With the inclusion of these two, Tata Power expands its consumer base to 9.5 million from the present base of 5.2 million